About Me

Well there's really not a lot to say about me, I just stick to my own and dont really cause trouble. SIKE!!! Anyone who has even heard the name ~*GENESIS JELKES*~ knows that I'm the one everyone else watches and blames stuff on, and I'm the one they always run back to and I LOVE IT! I'm a fun girl who just wants to STAY a fun girl forever!! LoL On the plus side, I've been called every name in the book,no really...I have, so if you think you can top what I've heard GOOD LUCK :)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Meaningful Passage

A meaningful passage that I remember the most is one where Jose the son begins to act like a dictator and treats the people of Macondo unjustly. Consequently, his mother Ursula beats him for what he did to the village. The part of the book was memorable to me because of the thought of a woman in essence being in charge of a whole village. It interested me because it reminded me of how matriarchal my family is. In a house filled with women of all ages, one would believe that my brother would slowly become the provider for the family as well as the protector. Contrary to popular belief, each of the women, my mother and my grandmother, held their own ground and pulled their own weight plus mine and my brother's. At times, he thought that he could be the leader of the household and when he acted irrationally my mother reprimanded him in ways similar to Ursula's. The funny thing about it all is that people of the male persuasion try to fit this stereotype of being aggressive, controlling and intimidating when in all actuality they may be more submissive than their female counterparts. My question is that since the book was written in the 1970s how was that part of the book taken by the readers of that time era. If rejected, what did people do to dissuade others from reading this kind of idea and if accepted was it a big deal. Why or not?

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I think this nonsense!!!!!!!!!! No, I'm kidding...this is good work!!!!

"D" said...

DIALOGUE JOURNAL between Andrea and Genesis

*What would you do if you had to live your life under rule? Nothing would be far and everything would be a mess and confusion for everyone. I don't believe that Ursula should have beat him for what he had done. In his mind there seemed to be no source of pain to take out onto others. Jose,the son, is not trying to be taking over an sense of pride, but instead he acts upon his first thoughts. I agree with the matrichal area of your life. I have that same problem and my mom doesn't tend to want to share much power with me either. And personally I think that if it weren't for the women in the household, nothing would get done and everything would be a mess. Hence however, this the point of Ursula's life for her family. Everything is important for her and her ways. And in some sense your brother did exactly what Jose the son was probably trying to do with his rule. All they both want to do is be the family protector for the future. But women still come put on top and become the ones that try to pull the weight of it all. Men are only becoming the sterotype of tough and aggressive as you had said, which I highly agree with. I think that this blog really is showing the great comparsion between your family and Ursulas'...MINUS the tying to a chestnut tree that I know of.( Would you like to tell me something?)

Steffie21 said...

Hey yo you... do you realize that you run your momma... how when she tells you to get home before 3 am because that is unreasonable, and you walk in at 4 the next weekend... that means you run it!!!! hah... but you know.. you will be exactly like Ursula and your mom.. whehter you like it or not.. hah, just messing with you.. but guess what, you are going to do okay and you will be able to run it when you are old enough.

But your work is good, and i like the journal... good stuff good stuff... i like i like i like!@

"D" said...

I like ur pretty journals and the topics you choose to put as your header..
I love to read after two hours of softball..
If that aint crap then I dunno what is.
My blood pressure is rising to and I understand the pain and agony of it all. I hope that your paper comes out good and that you get it done on time. You know you want those 10 points extra.
OHHHHH YEAHHH!!!!!
Your momma may run you, but my mommy can't run me. She has control over me for everything. I hope she never gets that power toi the point that you have to go and like make a new name and identity...I will cry!!!!
But good work..
P.S: You don't play chess!! What chess players are talking about? You soo dumb!

Steffie21 said...

Hey yo you... well you know, maybe if you didnt diobey your mother, i wouldn't have to put you out on blogger??!?! hah... it was like that one day that i put you out about your phone being cut off(on myspace) and (right now) hah! but i love you though even though i just reminded the entire world about that!

But anyways, yeah Ursula is the bomb.. yes the bomb(like 6th grade stuff right there), but she can run it. And right now, we may run it because we are the babies and the girls, but one day... we are going to run it all... no matter what. (Because the boys can't handle us!) hah...

But yeah... the question you asked about the personailty... ummm thats hard, but i got an answer.
- He has to work, and accept the fact that i will be working also.
-He has to be there, for children and all.. even if the "marriage" does not work out.
-That charming guy that takes care of me when i am sick.
-Loves me when i am a b't'h
-You know, does the small things whenever it is possible and can deal with everything that comes our way.
What do you think that guy is supposed to have.. or do??? What are your answers?@!

"D" said...

Hey Yo G!
I love ya buddy!!
We are almost out of here and seriously I can't wait though..
I live in "Solitude" since this project has started. That's saddening to me! But when this is over and over spring break we must hang out and do something together alot of the time. Like all of us..even if you guys do got games,(poopie)it will be okay and we will do it right this year!
Comment Back Since you like only use this now a days and never anytime on Myspace or FaceBook.